Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Those Winter Sundays- Robert Hayden

"No one ever thanked him." page 781

This line of this poem struck me the most. It just made me think of all the times that other people have helped me or done something for me and I have taken it for granted. Why didn't I say thank you?" I think sometimes we all just assume that people know we are thankful for what they do know, but I do not think that is always the case. The poem presented an excellent example of people taking someone's work for granted. The father of the family worked hard every day, even Sunday for his family and did not receive the gratification that he deserved. The poem goes into detail as to what the man went through for his family and the struggles and hardships he endured. The speaker reaped the benefits of his father's work but never understood the actual gravity of the situation. He is just now looking back and realizing what his father did for him. In my opinion the reason that the speaker's view of the past has changed is that he became a father himself. He now realizes the love and sacrifices that come with being a father. He did not understand the responsibility and role in the past, but now he is aware of what his father did for him. I think the tone is a warning and also gives advice. The speaker does not want the reader to forget to thank people for what they do for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment