Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Apparition- John Donne

"When by thy scorn, O murderess, I am dead,/ And that thou thinkst thee free."

I have alot of ideas about this poem but am uncertain in the accuracy of them. This first line of the poem makes me think that someone is escaping something. I also think that the person really is not. I think that someone has been murdered and that the ghost is coming back to haunt the guilty party. It could also be figuratively speaking about the death of an idea. Also, a family or friend of the decesed could be trying to get back at the offender. The majority of the poem seemed to be a plan. It seemed like the speaker was planning on how he was going to attack. The tone was also of warning. He was telling his victim what not to do and what to look out for. I also noticed that the speaker used educated diction. Other than these, I have no ideas. I do not know if any of my ideas are right, but I think I have a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment