Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I Felt a Funeral in My Brain

"A Service, like a Drum-
Kept beating-beating-till I thought
My Mind was going numb-" page 776

This poem relied heavily on the sense of sound. The sense of sight however, is missing. Throughout the poem, sounds are revealed that had an effect on the way I read it. As I read, I was hearing the beating and the bells in the background behind me. I felt a part of the setting, even though putting oneself into the poem is perhaps the worst thing to do. I read the poem rather literally, viewing the box as a casket. I feel like the subject was mentally dying, like in a hospital bed going insane and losing mental capacity but accepting her coffin and death. In the end, it seems like she finally loses it. I think the end symbolizes death because her lines had previously rhymed, but the last stanza did not rhyme. Another form of style that I noticed was that random words, mostly nouns were capitalized. My initial connection was to the German lanuage in which all nouns are capitalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment