Wednesday, September 21, 2011

next of course god america i-e.e. cummings

"oh say can you see by the dawn's early"

Wow! This poem was confusing to say the least. It seemed like the author did not finish his thoughts. Because I have no idea what this poem is really about, I am going to stick with the question..."What did you notice?" I noticed that some patriotic songs were partially quoted in the beginning. It also used "thy" and normal pronouns. Usually authors use one or the other. Also, the end? I thought it was really weird that it had this part that seemed to say nothing and then oh by the way he was thirsty. I have no idea what the purpose of that was. These was also a simile between the dead (soldiers?) and lions. I think maybe possibly it has to do with war but that might be too literal of an interpretation.? It was definitely hard to tell the ends of the different sentences because of the lack of punctuation. So as you might be able to tell, I have no idea what is going on. When I answered the question, I think the dead are not admired because I think he is implying they are foolish for not thinking as they run into battle. Well, hopefully this will get cleared up in discussion in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment