Thursday, September 29, 2011

Crossing the Bar-Alfred, Lord Tennyson (quatrain)

"Sunset and evening star,/And one clear call for me!/ And may there be no moaning of the bar/When I put out to sea," PAGE 886

This poem is organized into quatrains. The use of quatrains is effective because it provides the structure for the rhyme scheme. The quatrains also establish the organizational pattern of the poem. In this poem, the four lines of poetry added to the suspense because the stanzas ended mid sentence. It also allowed for breaks in the reading to gather thoughts. I thought this poem also did a good job of inductive reasoning. I do not know if it is because of the way I was reading it or intentionally. When I first was reading and nearing the end, I had no idea what it was talking about or relating to. Once I got to the last few lines, I realized that the poem was all about death. I reread the poem and the details fell into place to follow the idea of death. I liked the way the idea was benign until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment