Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Parallelism- As You Like It

"I will help you, if I can: I would love you if I could. To-morrow meet me all togther. I will marry you, if ever I marry woman, and I'll be married to-morrow: I will satisfy you, if ever I satisfied man, and you shall be married to-morrow: I will content you, if what pleases you contents you, and you shall be married to-morrow." (V, ii, 71)

Rosalind uses parallelism in this scene. She is trying to satisfy everyone. Everyone seems to be in love with the wrong person at this point. Orlando loves Rosalind and is pretending to be in love with the fake man Ganymede. Phebe falls for Ganymede but Silvius is in love with Phebe. With her plan, Rosalind attempts to make sure everyone's love works out. The use of parallelism in this case with the repetition of "I will... if" shows that she is speaking to everyone equally. The use of parallelism is effective because all the scenarios deal with the same subject. The use of parallelism connects all of her efforts. The repeated sentence structure effectively demontrates the equality of the situations and that Rosalind cares about all of them equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment