Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Rose for Emily- William Faulkner

"When Miss Emily Grierson died, our whole town went to her funeral: the men through a sort of respectful affection for a fallen monument, the women mostly out of curiosity to see the inside of her house, which no one save an old manservant- a combined gardener and cook- had seen in at least ten years." -PAGE 281

This quote gives an overall image and feeling about Miss Emily amongst the townspeople. I am going to attempt to discuss different aspects of the short story that I noticed. First of all, I noticed that the order of the story was out of order. Not only did they start with her death and then start over and lead up to her death, but even some of the middle events seemed out of place. I think this was effective in the sense that it seemed like the story was different segments from several different people because people were always talking about Miss Emily and her lifestyle, but nobody really knew so alot of it was rumors. Another major thing I noticed was that what we learned about Miss Emily was mainly through the other characters telling us. The first person plural point of view gave us a sense of nobody knowing the whole story but rather adding their sections or parts to the whole to make a whole piece. I also noticed that the majority of the story seemed rather negative to me. The descriptions and events seemed dull and dreary to me. There were also numbered sections the story was divided up into which I think was to signify the change in narrator and subject. The different narrators told different parts of Miss Emily's life as they saw and heard it.

No comments:

Post a Comment