Wednesday, November 9, 2011

How I Met My Husband- Alice Munro

"So I said yes, and I went out with him for two years and he asked me to marry him, and we were engaged a year more while I got my things together, and then we did marry." -PAGE 146

I did not like in this story how the entire thing focused on Edie and Chris. All the waiting and descriptions of Chris and Edie together made the reader (me) wait for them to be together. I kept expecting it to come. When he said he would write I thought that was so romantic and I was anticipated them writing letters and then getting married. I wanted that so bad for Edie because Alice Kelling had been so rude to her about Chris. The fact that she waited by the mailbox for so long for a letter made me think the author was just building up suspense. I was waiting for the happy ending I assumed was coming. When I got to the last paragraph, I was astonished. Really, she's going to marry the mailman? Okay so I mean I guess it's not the idea of the mailman; it's the idea that she barely knew him and the reader barely knew him. The whole story had focused on Chris and then in the last paragraph it mentions the mailman. It is like and then I met this guy and got married. A main event and story within itself told in less than a paragraph. I was very disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Hola, quizás os interese saber que tenemos una colección que incluye el relato 'The Progress of Love' de Alice Munro en versión original conjuntamente con el relato 'Death by Landscape' de Margaret Atwood.

    El formato de esta colección es innovador porque permite leer directamente la obra en inglés sin necesidad de usar el diccionario al integrarse un glosario en cada página.

    Tenéis más info de este relato y de la colección Read&Listen http://www.ponsidiomas.com/catalogo/alice-munro---margaret-atwood-.html

    ReplyDelete