Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bartleby the Scrivener- Hermann Melville (Allusion)

"Rather would I let him live and die here, and then mason up his remains in the wall." PAGE 668

This quote is an allusion to a story we read in Mrs. Miles' class. I am pretty sure it was the Cask of Amontillado but I am not sure. In the Cask of Amontillado, one of the characters is left to die in the catacombs behind a brick wall with nowhere to go. I thought of this as I read this part of Bartleby. I could imagine this man that lived in the building being walled up inside. In this circumstance, the one behind the wall would not be blindsighted as the charachter in the Cask of Amontillado was. The walling up would be less out of anger of a friend and more out of ignorance by Bartleby. I feel sorry for Bartleby that he has no where to go, but at the same time, it might be better for him to leave. If people are talking about him possibly being walled up, even as a joke, I think it is an indication that he is not safe there. Other people are not even the only threat to him. He seems to be a threat to himself; he is causing himself harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment