Sunday, June 26, 2011

Together Again

"Maybe I was wanting that feeling again, of me and Tommy being brought close together." PAGE 228

The three friends-Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy- come together again for a trip to see the boat that has been washed ashore. At first I thought that Ruth just wanted to go because she genuinely wanted to see the boat, but eventually it became evident that that was not the case. Ruth needed to tell the others something. She waited until the ride back. I think it was good that she waited to tell them her serious thoughts and that they just made small talk on the way. The situation would have been awkward when they were trying to get to the boat. I was really shocked at what Ruth had to say. It was thoughtful of her to ask for forgiveness, but I think it took great courage to place her request. She was sincerely sorry for keeping Tommy and Kathy apart and wanted them to try to be together. Before, I thought of Ruth as self centered, but now my perception has changed and I see her as a very kind person. She could have just asked for forgiveness, but she tried to help the situation and make it right. I have more respect for her character now because I know that she does care about the others. I was pleased that as Ruth was on her deathbed, Kathy promised to be Tommy's carer because that is what they both wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment