Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fate or Disappointment

"There's no truth in the rumour. I'm sorry. I truly am." PAGE 258

I am not sure how much Kathy and Tommy actually wanted the deferral themselves. I think the reason they followed through to try and get the deferral was for Ruth. They both wanted to fulfill one of her last wishes for them. The trip did not turn out how they would have liked, however. Miss Lucy had to break the news to them that the deferrals never existed. I would have been rather disappointed in such a situation because of all the hope that was most likely built up leading into their trip. They seemed to take it rather well though. I think they probably had known deep down that getting the deferral was a longshot. They were probably very pleased to finally get some answers about Hailsham, the Gallery, and the Guardians. Throughout their time at Hailsham, Tommy and Kathy were repetitively questioning what was going on at Hailsham. After such an eventful chapter, the last chapter seemed much less eventful. I was waiting for something big to happen and it never did. The main event was a brief mention of Tommy suggesting he get a new carer. I think it was probably best for Tommy to get a new carer towards the end of his life so Kathy didn't have to see him suffering. Overall, I enjoyed the novel and its use of literary techniques, but I was disappointed in the ending.

1 comment:

  1. Aside from there not being a comment in regards to the last 30 pages, your entries were thorough and thoughtful, which is a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete