Thursday, June 9, 2011

First Person Point of View

"My name is Kathy H. I'm thirty-one years old, and I've been a carer now for over eleven years." PAGE 3

The novel begins by the narrator directly stating her identity, followed by a brief description of herself. The author continues to use first person pronouns as the story progresses. Through the first person point of view, the author is able to describe the goings on by describing the narrator's experiences and interpretations. We are able to see and learn about the other characters through her contact with them and descriptions of them. The effectiveness of the first person is that the character seemingly has first hand experience with the situations she is describing rather than reporting on events as an outsider. It increases engagement by the reader to the happenings in her current life, and the past events she refers to through flashbacks of her time at the boarding school in England known as Hailsham. The initial flashback is triggered by the narrator, Kathy, passing by something that brought back a memory from her boarding school experience.

As I read the first part of the book, questions began to arise-What exactly is the responsibility of a carer, the narrator's occupation? What are the donors donating?

So far I am thinking that a carer might be like a nurse of sorts that looks over people who need help at a certain point in their lives. I am assuming organs or blood or something along those lines being donated which is why a nurse would be needed during recovery. The only thing is that the donors would need most of their organs for themselves. I guess I will have to continue reading to confirm my hunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment