Sunday, April 29, 2012

Slaughterhouse Five- motif

"If you're ever in Cody, Wyoming... just ask for Wild Bob."  PAGE 206, 212, and others

When this quote was repeated the first few times, I did not realize the significance.  I overlooked its repetitiveness at first because it was not that often.  In the second half I realized it happening more and more.  I am not exactly sure why it is repeated so often.  My best guess would be that the line is one that sticks out to the narrator.  He seems to use this phrase when he thinks about the war.  When he thinks about war, that instance must be one that sticks out to him.  Because of this, he repeats it to bring back other memories of the war.  Maybe he chooses this incident because it is a more lighthearted memory than others he has.  This quote could also be an example of the hope that the people in the war had.  They all had hope that they would make it home alive.  They had the hope that they would stay safe and things would go back to normal.  Maybe this quote is a symbol of hope for things to go back to normal.  These are educated assumptions because I do not know why this is repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment