Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Othello-Act II (dramatic irony)

"Thus do I ever make my fool my purse,
For I mine own gained knowledge should profane
If I would time expend with such a snipe
But for my sport and profit..."
Iago IIi 363-366

The use of dramatic irony occurs in the soliloquies. Iago has several soliloquies in which he talks directly to the audience. This conveys information to the reader, or viewer, that the rest of the characters do not know. The use of dramatic irony in this play primarily gives us information about Iago. We learn about his inner thoughts and what he really thinks about situations. We learn of his plans that he uses against people. We learn about his personality and selfish nature as he plots people against each other. Iago successfully manipulates people into thinking he has their best interest in mind, and even tries to tell himself that, when in fact he is only looking out for what he wants. When he thinks he is helping Roderigo, he is also helping himself because Cassio won't get the girl and will lose his position. I think the dramatic irony is very effective in giving the audience a glimpse into the inner workings of Iago's mind. He does not act the same when others are around or tell other people his thoughts. We also see how quickly he is able to change emotion. We see that he is successful in putting on a show for other characters so they believe what he is saying.

1 comment:

  1. grabba leaf o grabba leaf giv me tha grabba loose som teeth o grabba leaf o grabba leaf giv me the grabba smokE some kief !!! ya man ochos rios baby !

    ReplyDelete