Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Popular Mechanics- Raymond Carver (divorce)

"Let go of him, he said.-Get away, get away! she cried."

Originally, I read the story literally thinking that they were literally fighting over their child. Then I began to think of the baby as symbolizing general posessions the husband and wife fought over. With the divorce, they are forced to decide who gets what. I was thinking of all the petty fights they had over what each one gets. I think the baby could also symbolize control. Towards the end of the story, I felt like a feeling, or sense of control, could be what they were fighting over. Each one obviously wants to control what happens after the divorce. The baby seemed more of a background character to me. I do not think the fight was literally with the baby, but rather the fight symbolizes their disconcern for the child. The two adults act like children without regard for the effects of their actions on the child. They seem not to care about what happens to the baby as long as he or she wins the fight. This makes it seem like neither of them deserve to have the baby because they are not concerned with the baby's safety. This is like the bible story about the women fighting over the baby. One will not let them split the baby in half because she loves it too much. That is how they know who the real mother is.

1 comment:

  1. I never believed in love spells or magic until i met this spell caster once when i went to Africa in February this year on a business summit. I meant a man who’s name is (Great Matatan powerful Spell ), he is really powerful and could help cast spells to bring back one’s gone, lost, misbehaving lover and magic money spell or spell for a good job or luck spell .I’m now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 3 weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 4 years. I really loved him, but his mother was against us and he had no good paying job. So when i met this spell caster, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him. At first i was undecided, skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try. And in 7 days when i returned to Sydney, my boyfriend (now husband) called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married. I didn’t believe it cos the spell caster only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do. Well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid, and my husband also got the new job and our lives became much better. His email is:(  matatanspell@yahoo.com .  )  

    ReplyDelete